Sunday, 20 September 2015

Building 15mm scale HMG nests

Hi all!
I've been asked how I did my HMG nests and objectives for Flames of War. What do I use to do them and where do I pull my ideas. The ideas come from everyday life and from experience, everyday life, from the works of others and from reference pictures.
- tooth picks/coctail sticks (a lot of them)
- PVA glue
- clippers
- pincers (optional, only if you don't want to glue your fingers)
- hobby knife (a sharp one, WATCH THOSE FINGERS!)
- little scissors (for cutting the gauge)
- medium/large bases (depends on what you want to build)
- pumice (you can chose the color and thickness by yourself, I'm using Brown Earth)
- tools to spread the pumice (the smaller the better, you can fit into small gaps)
- diyed gauge (feel free to use any color or method you like for diying, I used tea)
- The Plan
First, before anything, you have to have a clear plan, a visual (drawing, reference picture, plan in your head), what you're about to do. In my case, and example here, I had a visual of an L-shaped MG nest that we used to dig in the army, although we did it open topped.

The Plan

For starters I planned the general shape of the nest and the placement of camo nets, at this point all other, more decorative, groundwork was skipped. For this I used Adobe Photoshop CS 6 but this could have been made just as easily with Paint. The only thing that was measured into correct size was the base as it greatly helps to adjust everything else into correct size. For the HMG nests I use medium bases. which are 2”/50mm wide by 1¼”/32mm deep. If I'd do an objective I'd use large base which is 2”/50mm wide by 2½”/65mm deep.

First part - The Build - Front view
Following the plan closely I started cutting all the needed pieces for the first layer. I did it this way so I could first match up one layer and then cut the rest of the pieces using the firsts as guides.

Once all the pieces were cut I used PVA glue to make up the first layer and let it settle for a while. It's easier to work after the base is stabile. I prefer PVA over super glue because it hardens slowly and you have time to adjust the "logs" into right place. I suggest using pincers to help with the placement (I didn't use and got my fingers glued - luckily only with PVA which you can get off easily).

First part - The Build - Back view
I first built the basic structure without the roof as I added some support beams inside. Then made the roof to stabily the whole built. The entryway and the firing slit outer walls were built last.

First part - The Build - Top view

Second part - The Ground - Front view
After the PVA had dried I glued some tree trunks (the fallen tree trunk was added after the pumice) and then dug out my Brown Earth pumice and started to spread it with a small tool. I tried to leave the roof and one layer of logs visible. I forgot first to put pumice to the roof but put it there later on.

Second part - The Ground - Back view
Now it was time to add the rocks to bring some more life to the bases. I did this before the pumice dried so didn't have to use any glue on them.

Sorry for missing all the pictures of part three which was painting the whole thing up.

First a wash with Nuln Oil, followed by multiple drybrush layers of VMC Beige Brown (until you are hapy with it). Then highlighted with Citadel Kommando Khaki (again until you're hapy with it).

Basecoated with VMC Chocolate Brown and then washed with Nuln Oil to deepen the reccess. I then used the Beige Brown to highlight the the woodworks and did secondary highlight with a mix of Beige Brown and White (can't remember my mix but you do it with what looks good for you). And naturally you can try with different colors to create different type of trees. Or you can leave the tree trunks as is. I actually tried to mimic birch with the fallen tree, basecoated it with Black, then made random patterns with Pale Grey Blue and highlighted with White.

MGs were painted with Light Grey, washed with Nuln Oil and highlighted with Light Grey.

Fourth part - Camoflage - Back view
Once all the painting was done it was time to add rest of the nature. I tried to randomize the placement for the bushes (suggesting PVA for this) and grass (use watered down PVA for this). Lastly it was time to add camo nets. First cutted the gauge into rectangular shapes and positioned them somewhat where I think it would help to hide the nest. I then applied watered down PVA with a brush and bend the gauge into shape.

Fourth part - Camoflage - Front view
And here you go, the end result of our build. Notice how the gauge has darkened while the PVA has dried.

Finished result - Back view

Finished result - Birds eye

Finished result - Front view
And here is a little flashback of my older I-shaped HMG nests. These are also build on medium base but as they are only I-shaped they have more room inside so I could fit a gunner with MG inside instead of just an MG like in L-shaped nest.
I-shaped, finished, HMG nests
I hope you find this usefull but if you have any questions, please leave them in the comments :)

Friday, 11 September 2015

Long time no post - Please have some HMG!

Hi and sorry for not posting anything up for a long time. I've been quite busy at my work and personal life and thus it has all limited my time to finish anything.

But something has been finished, it's nothing big but I'm quite fond of them although two of them will be shipping out but I hope to still see them on the battlefield and AARs by a friend abroad. So what have I finished, well three HMG nests.

These are built in L-shape with exit routes. The idea came to me thanks to the friend who asked me to do some nests and from my time in Finnish Defence Forces and when we dug up this kind of possitions into the woods. Otherwise these are built just like the earlier HMG nests.

Thank you and enjoy!